Wednesday 7 March 2012

Say "No" to Pain/ Say "Yes" to Drugs

Transforming Pain into Art -- For a year I had a backache.  It hurt to walk, to bend over, to run, to do anything.  I went to the chiropractor twice a week, I had an MRI, Xrays, and other diagnostic scans.  There was nothing wrong with me. My doctor finally assumed that there was soft tissue inflamation and recommended high doses of Ibuprofen.  At the same time I started taking Ibuprofen in earnest, I bought a new Sealy Posturepedic.  Immediately, I felt the difference.  The pain went away and never came back.  That's worth a journal page!

I downloaded the images of the skeleton and the vertebrae.  I printed them on regular paper in black and white.  I tore the edges from the paper to leave a natural rough edge.  I teastained the paper to create an aged look on the paper and collaged the lettering and the arrow etc.
On page 2, I painted a colorful background and collaged the rest of the images on.   I am proud of this 2 page collection.  Again it makes a powerful statement about something that was extremely personal and important to me. 

I like the play on the common "Say no to drugs."
I am a firm believer in the benefits of modern medicine and although my pain was mild compared to people who have intense pain management problems I can definitely attest to the statement that pain ruins your quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment